North Carolina’s Sun newspaper on lockdown for over a day June 20, 2021 June 20, 2021 admin

NEW YORK — North Carolina’s newspaper, the remnant newspaper and the local news station are in lockdown after being hit by a bomb threat.

The remnants of the newspaper were evacuated from the area around its main newsroom after a man who called himself a “federal agent” made bomb threats in North Carolina in the last 48 hours.

The newspaper and a news station were hit around 10 p.m. local time Monday, according to the newspaper.

The blast ripped the front page of the paper from the cover, the back page of which is still in tact, and the back of the station, which is now offline, the paper said.

The newspaper and station are owned by the Southern Commercial Bank and the Northern Commercial Bank, according the Southern Banking Corporation.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is assisting local authorities in the investigation, the Southern Broadcasting Corporation said in a statement.

The Federal Bureau for Investigation and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are also assisting in the search, the newspaper said.

No arrests have been made.

The bomb threat was reported on Facebook early Tuesday morning, according a Southern Broadcasting report.

A source with direct knowledge of the investigation told CNNMoney that authorities are examining surveillance video from the building where the threat was made.

The bomb threat comes as the newsroom has been closed since Monday to make sure it is secure, the source said.

North Carolina is a “high threat” state, according State Police, and law enforcement has closed roads and blocked off streets in the state, the ABC affiliate in Durham, North Carolina, reported.

The threats are part of a nationwide trend, said Michael Baca, a professor of journalism at the University of Virginia who studies bomb threats.

The North Carolina attack is one of the worst of its kind to date, Baca said.

Authorities in Texas and Maryland also reported incidents of bomb threats last week.

The threat was one of several recently reported threats targeting the newspaper in North Carolinias capital, Charlotte.

In an update Tuesday, the state announced that all of its businesses, including its newspaper, would be closed, and people are being urged to not travel to the state.

The state said its law enforcement agencies and the FBI are working to identify the person responsible for the threats and investigate the situation.